We've updated our Terms of Use. You can review the changes here.

Profess

by Woven In

/
  • Cassette + Digital Album

    Digital download of Profess included with each lathe cut purchase, as well as:

    *a Woven In sticker of cover art

    *a Woven In pin

    *Handwritten thank you note

    *a couple surprise stickers & pins from Grimalkin Records

    Per Woven In, tape proceeds go to Gr's label and mutual aid fund to help us sustain our work and we are putting it towards our business plan fundraiser.

    Includes unlimited streaming of Profess via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.
    ships out within 28 days
    7 remaining
    Purchasable with gift card

      $10 USD or more 

     

  • Streaming + Download

    Includes unlimited streaming via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.

    Black Land Ownership https://www.blacklandownership.com/ and the Black Creatives Redistribution Fund Artist receive 75% of all proceeds of digital only sales. That 75% is split evenly between the two. The remaining 25% supports Grimalkin's label and mutual aid fund and helps us towards sustaining our work.
    The Black Creatives Redistribution Fund, founded by Mariah Fortune, is an initiative to get money back into the hands of Black creators.
    https://www.blackcrfund.org/
    https://www.instagram.com/blackcrfund/
    PayPal: Blackcrfund@yahoo.com
    "Black Land Ownership is a grassroots organization, founded by Christopher Banks Carr and Melissa Hunter Gurney, to combat the historical, systematic and institutionalized marginalization experienced by people of African descent. Our goal is to centralize information, raise funds and encourage/empower Black people to purchase more land specifically in rural areas. Our research, although specific to the Black community, absolutely reveals the need to raise awareness for other marginalized groups — women, trans, indigenous, immigrants — with limited resources or capital. Black Land Ownership, as an entity, is inclusive of these groups. However, it is imperative to recognize the outrageous mistreatment and disparity aimed at Black people not only in the U.S. but worldwide."
    https://www.blacklandownership.com/
    Lathe proceeds fund Gr's label and mutual aid fund.
    ... more
    Purchasable with gift card

      $10 USD  or more

     

  • Limited Edition 10" Lathe Cut
    Record/Vinyl + Digital Album

    Digital download of Profess included with each lathe cut purchase, as well as:

    *a Woven In sticker of cover art

    *a Woven In pin

    *Handwritten thank you note

    *a couple surprise stickers & pins from Grimalkin Records

    All proceeds from the sale of lathe cuts go to our artist and mutual aid collective fund. This fund helps us pay artists for things like playing shows, artwork, and other artistic type needs like help with distributing their music, equipment or transportation to get to shows.
    grimalkinrecords.bandcamp.com

    lathe cut records made by:
    groovyduderecords.com

    Includes unlimited streaming of Profess via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.
    ... more

    Sold Out

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
Upsetting 02:12
6.
Stage 00:33 video
7.
8.
O B D N Z 01:36
9.
10.
Body 02:06
11.
Complex Body 03:21

about

Profess is the 9th album from Woven In, the moniker of multi-instrumentalist Mariah Fortune-Johnson (she/her). Twenty-nine year old Mariah has been releasing music under the name Woven In since 2013. This album starts out with the lyrics "Ordered me a new shoe, stepping out of the blue," which is a peek into the type of messages this album encapsulates. Mariah has moved up and down the east coast taking her craft with her every step of the way. Profess was self-recorded without any guest appearances from other musicians and it is the first time Fortune uses samples in her music, which amplify the existing messages of her own lyrics. The track "Upsetting," states 'It's upsetting me and my homegirl.' "It's social commentary on being a Black woman in America," says Fortune. There are other themes within the album, including love, kink, and a couple of contemplative instrumentals.

Black Land Ownership www.blacklandownership.com and the Black Creatives Redistribution Fund receive 75% of all proceeds of digital only sales. The 75% is split evenly between the two. The remaining 25% supports Grimalkin's label and mutual aid fund and helps us towards sustaining our work.

The Black Creatives Redistribution Fund, founded by Mariah Fortune, is an initiative to get money back into the hands of Black creators.
www.blackcrfund.org
www.instagram.com/blackcrfund/
PayPal: Blackcrfund@yahoo.com

"Black Land Ownership is a grassroots organization, founded by Christopher Banks Carr and Melissa Hunter Gurney, to combat the historical, systematic and institutionalized marginalization experienced by people of African descent. Our goal is to centralize information, raise funds and encourage/empower Black people to purchase more land specifically in rural areas. Our research, although specific to the Black community, absolutely reveals the need to raise awareness for other marginalized groups — women, trans, indigenous, immigrants — with limited resources or capital. Black Land Ownership, as an entity, is inclusive of these groups. However, it is imperative to recognize the outrageous mistreatment and disparity aimed at Black people not only in the U.S. but worldwide."
www.blacklandownership.com

Lathe proceeds fund Gr's label and mutual aid fund.

Per Woven In, tape proceeds go to Gr's label and mutual aid fund to help us sustain our work.

credits

released October 30, 2020

Written, performed, recorded solely by Mariah Fortune-Johnson aka Woven In.

All tracks except Interlude Sienna mastered by Jay Swann

Interlude Sienna mastered by Nancy Grim Kells

This album was inspired by my friend Hunting Dog's 2019 album "Body"

Cassette tapes and USB cassettes are available through Woven In's Bandcamp:
wovenin.bandcamp.com/album/profess

A special limited edition cassette version of Profess with different cover art is also available at the Orlando, FL label and longtime supporter and friend of Mariah's at Popinhil:
popnihil.bandcamp.com/album/profess

Huge thanks to Louis and MEFD for premiering the album, the video for Stage, and the pre-order for the lathes: www.mesenceintesfontdefaut.com/2020/08/21/exclusivite-woven-in-stage-video/

Thanks to God Is In the TV for this review: www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2020/08/27/woven-in-profess-popnihill/

Huge thanks to Lady Valore for this interview with Woven In: elainavalore.wixsite.com/theabyss/post/woven-in-professing

Huge thanks to MD and Decaycast for covering this album and kind review: decaycast.wordpress.com/2020/10/30/decaycast-reviews-woven-in-profess-grimalkin-records-2020/

Huge thanks to Kelly Liu at the Philadelphia Globe for this thoughtful review: www.philaglobe.com/woven-ins-profess-is-darkwave-techno-art-rock-all-rolled-into-one/

Huge thanks to Marina McTee of SLUG Mag for this wonderful review:
www.slugmag.com/music/reviews-music/national-music-reviews/review-woven-in-profess/

Huge thanks to Taylor and the All Scene Eye for this kind review: bit.ly/TASE-WIR

Huge thanks to Devon Chodzin and slumber mag for this kind review: www.slumbermag.com/listen-woven-in-profess/

Huge thanks to SPIN and Stephanie Mendez for this feature on DIY and the Resilience of Marginalized Groups During the Pandemic and for including Mariah and Catbody in this: www.spin.com/featured/the-struggle-for-diy-the-resilience-of-marginalized-groups-during-the-pandemic/

Thanks to Various Small Flames for including Upsetting on this list: varioussmallflames.co.uk/2021/01/11/music-we-missed-in-2020/

Huge thanks to Bmore Art and Rebekah Kirkman for featuring this album in their Baltimore roundup of albums made since the pandemic: bmoreart.com/2021/03/pandemic-sounds-12-baltimore-albums-released-since-the-start-of-quarantine.html

Thanks so much to Yeah I Know It Sucks for this lovely review:
yeahiknowitsucks.wordpress.com/2021/04/23/woven-in-profess/

license

all rights reserved

tags

about

Grimalkin Records Richmond, Virginia

Grimalkin Records is a trans and queer led mutual aid-oriented record label and collective created to support and foster connections between queer artists (with priority to QTBIPOC), listeners, and their local communities and grassroots organizations.

501(c)(3) nonprofit

non-binary finery & the trans fam queer cheer cats

Accepting submissions. Please email spartanjetplex@gmail.com.
... more

contact / help

Contact Grimalkin Records

Streaming and
Download help

Shipping and returns

Redeem code

Report this album or account

If you like Profess, you may also like: